Monday, April 19, 2010

Green Tip- Rain Barrel

I just recently installed a rain barrel at my home and love the thought of collecting rain water to reuse for gardening and outdoor use. I purchased my rain barrel for less than $90. After seeing how simple the rain barrels are I believe I will look into making my next one or at least pricing out the option of doing it myself.

Last week we recieved less than 1/2 inch of rain and my rain barrel (57 gallons) was full! The type of downspout diverter that came with my rain barrel puts the rainwater back into your gutter system when the barrel fills, this is so the barrel wont overfill. I dont know how long it will take me to recoup my $90 in water savings but I enjoy the feeling that I get knowing I am trying to conserve our earths water and help prevent wasting water. I am not excited enough to start drinking the rain barrel water, but what if I came up with a water purifications system, hmmm? On second thought no thanks, my wife would probably frown on this idea.

Please share your energy savings ideas with me and share mine with your friends.

James Gallet
http://www.envirotechks.com/

2 comments:

  1. James,
    If you or any of your contacts wants more barrels, I have a source of barrels for $10.00 each. They are recycled and right now the company is actually paying someone else to come and haul the barrels away. They have two sizes - 55 gallon and 30 gallon. You can email me at chernandez@reuseconcrete.com if anyone wants one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie,

    That is awesome! I will be emailing you shortly to get in touch and pickup some barrels. Thanks

    James

    ReplyDelete